Monday, January 27, 2014

Ready or not (definitely not)

One of my goals for this year is to run a half marathon. It's something that completely terrifies me because it's difficult and I don't like doing difficult things.

So because I'm so afraid I decided to register for the Fairfield Half Marathon on Sunday June 22nd. My brother Andy agreed to do it with me.

It's twenty-one weeks away, which according to many different training programs and runners and bloggers is definitely possible. However, I have yet to read of anyone attempting to train for a half marathon who is 258 pounds.

I was reading some advice from different bloggers and someone said that while she was training, for the first month she let herself stop and walk after each mile and after the first month she could go two miles at a time before she needed to stop and walk. Knowing that I could do it that way, that I didn't have to start out running a full three miles at a time, made it feel like something I could do. So my method going into this first week of training is to just get the mileage down, not worry about how fast I'm going or how much of it I walk. I cobbled together a training program based on a couple I found.

Week 1 (January 27th - February 2nd)
Monday: rest
Tuesday: 3 miles
Wednesday: rest or cross train
Thursday: 3 miles
Friday: rest or cross train
Saturday: 4 miles
Sunday: 3 miles

The rest of the schedule is here.

I'm terrified of saying this out loud and then failing. But I'm tired of not even trying.

In other news, Weight Watchers is going well. I feel like I've hit my stride. The fall was so crazy, up four pounds one week, down two the next and it was like that for three and a half months. It feels good to be losing again pretty consistently (it's only been two weeks but I'm counting it) and I feel really good. Since I've been running again I can already tell a difference in my body. Even though the scale isn't down a lot, the difference in my stomach is really noticeable.

Running is still such a challenge for me but there are times when I really find the zone and I feel really strong and my breathing is good and I'm not thinking about how many minutes I have left. So I'll keep doing it and hope that the longer I do it the more I'll like it.

1 comment:

  1. I love your courage to say it all out loud. So proud of you, Loey. Love you!

    ReplyDelete