Tuesday, January 28, 2014

First official day of training

When my alarm went off this morning, I did not want to get up. I kept hitting snooze for about an hour. This is why I set my alarm for much earlier than it needs to be.

I was not looking forward to trying to run three miles but I kept reminding myself that it was okay to stop and walk if I needed to, that the point was to get the distance down.

I set the treadmill at 4.5 mph because that's a pretty comfortable pace for me. I can run 4.7 but the longest I've made it at that pace is twenty minutes and by then my legs were killing me and I was exhausted. So I ran, just focusing on two miles. I kept telling myself to get to two miles and then I could walk. By the time I hit two miles I still felt pretty good, so I kept going. And I ran the entire three miles without stopping. At 36 minutes, I cranked the treadmill up to 4.7 and ran at that pace for two minutes and then cranked it up to 5.0 for two minutes because I wanted to see if I could finish under 40. My goal for the Shamrock Shuffle 5k in March is under 40 minutes.

Here are a couple pictures of the treadmill as I was catching my breath.
I feel amazing. Super hungry and my legs are sore but I am so proud of myself. It's just one day of a 21 week program, there's a long way to go, but I feel like I can do it.

1 comment: