Saturday, February 22, 2014

Time to get serious

Running is hard enough as it is, I don't know why I insist on making it harder for myself by eating terribly. I just ate junk yesterday and woke up feeling sluggish. But the sun was shining and the ice was sort of maybe starting to thaw so I decided to do my five miles outside instead of on the treadmill.

Before and After:



What I've learned so far about running longer distances than three miles is: the first two miles are the worst. I kept telling myself to just get to three miles and I could stop and walk for a few minutes. But somewhere around 2.5 miles I started to feel super strong and amazing and I didn't end up having to stop. My total average pace by that point was 13.58 but the last two and a half miles I felt so good that by the time my run was finished my total pace was 13.36. In fact, my last mile was the fastest by a full minute.



Here's a picture I took around the second mile:



I'm going to try something this week and blog my food log at the end of the day. Running is going well - I've learned that I can get up and go run even when I'm feeling terrible about myself and when I'm exhausted and cramping. So I need to re-focus on eating better. Imagine how good my five mile run will feel next week if I've eaten healthy food and not things that slow me down. So that's my goal for this week is to put effort into eating well.

No comments:

Post a Comment